HIRING ANNOUNCEMENT: Maine AFL-CIO Office Manager
The Maine AFL-CIO seeks an Office Manager to maintain the Maine AFL-CIO’s books, effectively and efficiently coordinate office management, support the management of Maine AFL-CIO data and technology and support core Maine AFL-CIO programs and organizational systems.
Overview of Responsibilities
The Maine AFL-CIO Office Manager maintains the Maine AFL-CIO books and supports ongoing budget work, maintains good office and organizational systems (phones, mail, technology, inventory, HR support, invoicing, etc), supports management of Maine AFL-CIO data and technology and supports core Maine AFL-CIO programs.
Description of Duties
- Maintains accurate and up to date Maine AFL-CIO books by entering and tracking per capita payments and income, paying bills, maintaining QuickBooks and Labor Key software, managing invoicing and generating financial reports as needed.
- Coordinates office management by overseeing key responsibilities such as filing, payroll, healthcare and insurances paperwork, filing PAC reports, 1099 preparation, interfacing with the accountant and payroll service provider, preparing annual and end of year reports, HR support, maintaining office inventory and related tasks.
- Supports the overall management of the Maine AFL-CIO’s data and database. Ensures timely data entry happens across platforms.
- Supports overall budget and fundraising work.
- Supports overall organizational operations by scheduling meetings, maintaining calendars, sending out emails and notifications, assisting with turnout calls and coordinating meeting logistics.
- Supports, strengthens and helps develop and refine good overall organizational systems.
- Answers phones and handles incoming and outgoing mail.
- Maintains technology in the Maine AFL-CIO office, monitors ongoing technological opportunities and supports staff in utilizing technology most effectively.
- Prepares and edits documents and communications.
- Supports efforts to maintain and increase affiliation by tracking per capita payments, contacting unions as necessary, sending arrears notices and working with other Maine AFL-CIO staff to support affiliation.
- Supports core Maine AFL-CIO programs such as conventions or trainings through staffing, material development, mailings, issuing calls, etc.
- Works together with Maine AFL-CIO staff on aspects of organizational development, fundraising, organizational campaigns, conventions, special projects, trainings and meetings.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bookkeeping (Quickbooks) and accounting knowledge is required.
- Computer proficiency is required: Intuit QuickBooks; Microsoft Access, Excel, and Outlook; Google Docs, Dropbox; internet, word processing, etc. as well as willingness to learn new software and systems.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of general office procedures.
- Ability to plan and coordinate work activities, keep detailed records and file reports in a timely manner.
- Ability to work independently within the context of a plan. Ability to independently manage projects; self-motivated.
- Ability to meet deadlines. Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks, and demonstrated experience in developing personal work plans and goals.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; proficient in proofreading, spelling, grammar and math
- Ability to work with and support volunteers in carrying out the work of the organization.
- Commitment to building the labor movement; knowledge of and experience with the labor movement and local unions is helpful, but not required.
The Office Manager works under the direct supervision of the Maine AFL-CIO Executive Director and works in close collaboration with the Maine AFL-CIO President and Maine AFL-CIO staff.
How To Apply
This is a full time, union represented position based in our Augusta, Maine office. Salary is commensurate with experience. Salary range: $47,000 - $60,000. We offer a very generous benefit package including a defined benefit pension, 100% employee & family healthcare coverage, a Health Reimbursement Account, 17 paid holidays/personal days and more. To apply please send a cover letter and resume to Matt Schlobohm, email@example.com with Office Manager in the subject line. Position is open until filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply by Thursday, February 2, 2023.
The Maine AFL-CIO is an equal opportunity employer.
About the Maine AFL-CIO
The Maine AFL-CIO is the state’s largest union organization representing the interests of some 200 labor organizations with more than 40,000 members. We seek to improve the lives of union members and all working people – in the workplace and the community – through organizing, collective action, public policy and workforce development.